Charles E. Anderson Papers
The papers of Charles E. Anderson consist of business records including memoranda of agreement, correspondence, receipts, architectural drawings, notes, sketches, account documents, and proposals. The records relate to Andersonís carpentry and other work on Harry S. Trumanís home, 1954-1958, and remodeling work on Mary Jane Trumanís home, 1956-1957.
Size: Less than one linear foot (about 400 pages).
[ Top of the page | Administrative Information | Biographical Sketch | Collection Description | Series Descriptions | Folder Title List ]
The Charles E. Anderson Papers are comprised of business records including memoranda of agreement, correspondence, receipts, architectural drawings, notes, sketches, account documents, and proposals. The records relate to Andersonís carpentry and other work on Harry S. Trumanís home at 219 North Delaware Street in Independence, Missouri, 1954-1958, including the building of bookshelves in the first floor study, the remodeling of the attic, the installation of new windows, the installation of storm doors and windows, the installation of supports to floors, making alterations in the basement, repairing tiling around the fireplace, re-screening windows, and performing other repair and installation work; and also relating to Andersonís remodeling work on Mary Jane Trumanís home at 13106 13th Street in Grandview, Missouri, 1956-1957. The collection consists of one series, a Subject File, arranged alphabetically by subject.
Harry S. Trumanís home, also known as the Gates-Wallace house, was purchased in 1867 by George Porterfield Gates, Bess Wallace Trumanís grandfather. In 1885, the home underwent its first major renovation as Gates greatly enlarged the home. After Bess Wallaceís father committed suicide in 1903, Bess and her family moved into the home with her grandparents. Harry S. Truman moved in shortly after his marriage to Bess in 1919, and both lived in the house for the rest of their lives. The house experienced a second renovation upon the Truman familyís return from the White House in 1953. The bulk of the remodeling and repair work was contracted to Charles E. Anderson on the recommendation of a salesman from Hancock, a frame supplier. Following Mrs. Trumanís death in 1982, the house became a National Historic Site under the supervision of the National Park Service. The collection includes a 1984 report on the Truman home by the Park Service. This report summarizes Andersonís work on the home.
Related information can be found in the oral history interview of C.E. Anderson.